Friday, June 12, 2015

THE FAMOUS B-47.

Herb had the opportunity on Monday of this week to visit the Strategic Air & 
Space Museum in Ashland, NE.  
 
The Museum is located a few miles South of Omaha. 
 
 
 
I had been conversing, by way of the internet, with Dr. McGinnis, head of 
the museum.  I asked if it was possible to get in the cockpit of the B-47 on 
display.  I mentioned that it had been 50 years since I climbed the ladder 
to get in the plane.  They were very nice and provided a workman (Chuck) to 
accompany me.  As I started up the ladder, 
 
I mentioned that the crawl space that led to the bomb bay area looked 
smaller than I had remembered.  Chuck's comment was, "Just how much did you 
weigh when you put on your flight suit back then?"  "Oh, about 160" was my 
reply!  He didn't have to say another word - pushing 195 lbs, I had answered 
my question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment